Monday, July 28, 2014

Korean Style Chicken

How can something that looks so bad taste so good?
A while back I helped a friend cook for a Hawaiian style party and ended up with a tub of delicious Korean chile paste, gochujang. I love the hot peppery taste, but honestly other than the chicken wing recipe I bought it for (and never made) I couldn't think of what to do with the little red tub. And so it sat. And sat.
After some courage via the internet I mixed up a marinade that's going to be come a regular dish around here. To flavor about 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken thighs I used: 1 thinly sliced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic, 4 TB soy sauce, 3 TB Gochujang, 1 TB honey, 1 1/2 tsp Sesame oil, 1/4 cup mirin (or you could use sake for less sweetness), 1 TB chile flakes. I let the meat sit in the fridge for several house and then because we don't have a grill set up -- sigh -- I cooked our chicken in the oven. First for 30 minutes covered and then for another 30 uncovered so the edges were nicely browned and crisped. Though the onions were intended as flavorings they were so delicious bathed in the red marinade that I served them -- along with the chicken -- over rice with plenty of spicy kimchee.

No comments:

Post a Comment