Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Hybrid Everyone Loves

I'm kind of a plant snob. I'm always looking for heirloom seeds and little known varieties. But I, along with hoarded of other snobbish gardeners can't resist the allure of a tiny tangerine colored hybrid tomato called sun gold.
Hybrids tomatoes are intentionally (though it happens accidentally in nature) cross bred varieties that offer characteristics of the parent plants in a new hopefully improved variety. Not all hybrids are GMOs. GMOs not only cross plants but often bring in traits of other species. I am against GMOs. but sometimes a particularly delicious hybrid will find a way into my garden.
With super sweet, almost floral flavor and nearly continuous fruit through the season sun gold is a stand out that's rarely seen in markets because no matter how delicious the bright orange fruit doesn't ship well. Or at least that's what I've read. I can't even get from the garden to the house without eating most of what I've picked so shipping is way out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment